So little time left until Christmas, so much to do! And that’s why today’s post will be just a quick one, but ohhhhh sooooo good!!! Warm, baked butternut squash in creamy- cheesy crust that will make your taste buds go so happy! 🙂
There are few things that must be mentioned here. As this recipe is not just about your usual baked squash. At least couple of other ingredients are drool- worthy, if you get as excited about food, as I do…
Firstly, vegan sour cream. Yup, sour cream that is dairy free, and made out of 5 simple ingredients: lemon juice, water, cashews, nutritional yeast and some sea salt. Could it be any easier? All what you do is blitz them all together in the powerful blender for few minutes, and TA- DAH! Beautiful, creamy, and oh- so- tasty sour cream is ready. And just in case if you are wondering, YES, it works just like normal sour cream! 😉
It also makes perfect base for all sorts of dips and sauces, so it’s definitely worth keeping a spare jar in the fridge! Perhaps I will write a separated post in the future, dedicated JUST to the sour cream, as it is that good! And it such a good alternative to traditional sour cream, which often is much more than just a cream (and not in a good way)…
Secondly, cheesy crust! So delicious, comforting and bursting with savory flavors! Technically, my version is not vegan, but you can easily replace parmesan with vegan version, and it will be just as good! And yes, I did try it with vegan parmesan and it also works really well! Non- dairy cheeses are becoming more and more popular and widely available, and they taste so much like a real deal! So much so, that sometimes it is hard to tell the difference, they also work well in baked dishes and melt nicely! If you can get your hands on this stuff , then I promise you, you will be blown away!
This baked squash in cheesy crust will make a perfect side dish on your Christmas table. It can also be prepared in advance and re- heated in the oven for about 10 minutes just before serving. So you can make it ahead, and save yourself some of that precious time, which could be spend sipping on that mulled wine! 😉
Until next time! Xxx
- 1 large squash (about 2 kg) peeled and sliced into wedges
- olive oil
- bunch of fresh oregano
- 100g cream cheese (dairy- free if vegan)
- 100ml vegan sour cream * recipe below
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- salt and pepper
- 60g grated parmesan (or vegan substitute)
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- ¼ cup juice of lemon
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup water
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend together for about 5 minutes until smooth and creamy in consistency.
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Place squash wedges into a large baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes or until golden.
- In a medium bowl, mix together sour cream and cheese, add lemon zest, garlic,spices and half of the grated cheese. Season well with salt and pepper and add a generous pinch of fresh oregano and mix well.
- Remove squash from the oven and spread sour cream mixture on top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs and return back to the oven for 10- 15 mins until crisp and golden. Serve sprinkled with fresh oregano.