Hey friends! What a treat I have for you today! Super delicious, banana pudding with pecans, splash of bourbon and magical caramel sauce hidden underneath. Perfect treat for Sunday afternoon!
Original recipe is from BBC Good Food site, and it was love at first site, ‘self- saucing’ bit attracted my attention, and that was enough to get me baking. Using non- dairy ingredients, and replacing eggs with aquafaba is my vegan version of it.
Firstly, let me tell you about this sauce. This super sweet, sticky, caramely heaven, hidden all underneath the pudding! Made with golden syrup (which is famously the stickiest substance known to humans) and light brown sugar, it surely is a pleasant surprise when you dig into it!
And I must admit, when reading the instructions for this pud, it says to pour the hot liquid over the pudding, you can’t help but think that you must have misread it. Yup, you pour hot liquid over the pudding batter, and it will look weird and wrong…But don’t panic!!! It is going to be awesome once baked. Because it will literally disappear under the pudding. TAAA- DAAAHH!
So much hidden goodness in one baking dish 🙂 Also, the recipe for this banana pecan bourbon pudding calls for a drop of booze, it gives a nice flavor and adds great aroma to the whole thing (it can be skipped from the recipe, although I strongly recommend to splash some good bourbon in there.
With all the madness that this week had on offer, you will find your zen again with the slice of this pudding. And perhaps with a glass of bourbon too 😉 Also, with Christmas fever around the corner, this banana pecan bourbon pudding will bring you peace and happiness, much needed at this time of the year!
Because there is nothing worse than shopping centres at this time of the year, I’m making a conscious decision of doing all of my Xmas shopping for this year, online (and you see my friend, that will give me a lot of time for making puddings like this! 😉 ). However, rather than buying gifts for the dearest ones, I’ve already ended up buying mostly for me…not an ideal situation.
As a result, I’ve been banned from spending any money on myself in the next 30 days…Today is day 2, and the only way I will stick to it, is by spending most of my time in the kitchen, testing ALL the holiday season recipes (especially cookies… 🙂 watch this space…), rather than surfing the web. And you know what? I kinda like it that way…
Perhaps I will just give everyone a life time supply of homemade cookies and biscuits, instead of some useless crap they will never use…? So what, if I did it a year ago (and the year before that…)??? As my dad always says, if something works, don’t fix it… So if you are on my Xmas gifts list, guess what you are getting? 😉 Happy days! Let the baking madness begin! X
Banana Pecan Bourbon Self-Saucing Pud
- 100 g butter melted plus extra for greasing, dairy- free
- 275 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 300 g soft light brown sugar
- 100 g pecans chopped
- 4 small bananas
- 250 ml dairy- free milk
- 3 tbsp aquafaba
- 2 tbsp bourbon or dark rum
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- Boil the kettle and heat the oven to 180 C. Grease a rectangular baking dish with butter.
- Tip the flour, baking powder, 140 g of sugar, most of the pecans (save a handful) and 1/2 tsp salt into a bowl. In a separate bowl, whip aquafaba until it has soft peaks.
- In another bowl, mash one banana, add the butter, milk, bourbon and mix together. At the end, fold the aquafaba with a wooden spoon. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well. Scrape into the baking dish and level the surface.
- Slice the remaining bananas length-ways and place on the top of the pudding batter, cut- side up. Scatter over the remaining pecans.
- Mix the rest of the sugar with the golden syrup, add 300ml boiling water and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Pour the hot liquid over the pudding and place in the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 1h until the top is set and the sauce is starting to bubble around the edges.
- Serve with ice cream or custard (or both) and enjoy!