Irresistible cheesecake brownies. They’re fudgy, moist, decadent and dangerously addictive. The ultimate treat to satisfy all of your sweet cravings!
What’s better than chocolatey, fudgy and indulgent brownie? Well, it turns out that there is something even better than that! Let me introduce you to your new favourite treat…
Irresistible cheesecake brownies
After posting the recipe for these delicious blondies last month, it’s time for some brownies! If you never had a brownie with cream cheese layer on top, you are up for one of the best experiences of your life! You, they’re that good! These little squares are ideal for satisfying your sweet cravings and perfect for sharing (or not).
Firstly, there is a chocolate brownie layer. Sweet, rich, decadent and oh-so-fudgy. On top of that, there is this creamy, baked vanilla cheesecake layer, which adds even more indulgence and more delicious flavour. As if that wasn’t enough, cheesecake layer is topped with small amount of thinned chocolate batter to create these beautiful, eye-catching swirls.
How to make this recipe
There is no fancy equipment needed to make cheesecake brownies, and all of the ingredients are rather simple and basic.
I would recommend using good quality, dark chocolate with min 70% cocoa solids. Better the quality of your chocolates = better, tastier and more delicious brownies.
For the cheesecake layer I recommend full-fat Philadelphia cheese. It’s just the creamiest and most suitable soft cheese when it comes to making cheesecake of any sort. Make sure the cheese is at room temperature before using it in the recipe.
You can use standing or hand-held mixer to make the cheesecake batter. Simply place all of the ingredients together in a bowl and mix until combined into smooth batter, about 2 minutes.
Next, melt the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan. If you don’t have any soft light brown sugar, granulated or caster sugar will work too.
Add the finely chopped dark chocolate and mix it all until smooth, glossy batter. Before adding the eggs to this batter, make sure the mixture is not too hot. Otherwise you may end up with some scrambled egg there!
Whisk the eggs and vanilla and add flour, cocoa and salt. Stir it all to combine. There’s your brownie batter.
Reserve roughly about 100 ml of the brownie batter and transfer it into separate bowl. Mix it with 2 tbsp of water to thin it out a bit. This will create the chocolate swirls in the cheesecake layer.
Pour the main brownie batter into prepared baking tin and smooth it out with spoon or spatula. Top it with cheesecake batter, then spoon out small amounts of thinned brownie batter on top. Use a knife, chopstick or skewer to create the swirl pattern and bake!
Slice them into squares and enjoy on their own or with a scoop of ice cream!
How to store brownies
They will keep well in the airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. You can also freeze them for up to 2 months. If freezing, wrap them in foil or clingfilm to avoid freezer burn and place in the freezer bag or airtight container. Thaw the brownies in the fridge overnight.
For the cheesecake layer:
- 115 g full-fat soft cheese (room temperature)
- 1 large egg
- 50 g white caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or vanilla bean paste)
For the chocolate brownie:
- 115 g unsalted butter (cubed)
- 130 g soft light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs plus one egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 115 g dark chocolate (finely chopped)
- 110 g plain flour
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and line the square (9' x 9') or rectangular (9' x 7') brownie tin with baking paper.
- In a bowl of a standing mixer (handheld electric mixer will work too) place all of the cheesecake ingredients. Beat on medium-high speed for a couple of minutes until all the ingredients are combined together in a smooth batter. Set aside.
- Place the butter and sugar in a small saucepan over a low heat. Allow the butter and sugar to melt, stirring occasionally until smooth, thick and glossy. Take off the heat and add chopped chocolate. Using a whisk or spatula, mix it all together until combined. Add eggs, egg yolk and vanilla and mix together until smooth. Tip in the flour, cocoa powder and salt and whisk again until just combined.
- Reserve small amount of brownie batter and place it in a small bowl (about 100 ml). Add 2 tbsp of water to it and whisk until combined. This will create a thinner brownie batter that you will use later to create chocolate swirls.
- Pour the main brownie batter into prepared baking tin and using the back of the spoon or a rubber spatula, spread it evenly. Pour the cheesecake mixture on top of the brownie batter and gently spread it across. Add small blobs of thinner brownie batter on top of the cheesecake layer. Using a knife or a chopstick, create swirl patterns on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until skewer inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely. Slice into squares and enjoy!
Don’t want to miss out on future posts and recipes? Sign up to my mailing list and receive them straight to your inbox!