These 3 ingredient peanut butter balls are probably THE EASIEST snack you will ever make! Three ingredients, one bowl and 10 minutes is all that is needed to make and enjoy these delicious energy bites.
This speedy, no-bake snack is a perfect way to deliver some healthy energy to your body before or after work out, but it is equally delicious as a healthier treat, any time of the day.
With soft and fudgy texture and delicious flavour of peanut butter, these bite-sized energy balls are almost too easy to make! This recipe can be used as a base for creating different versions of energy balls, like this recipe for Coconut and Peanut Butter Spiced Energy Bites or my Chocolate and Peanut Butter Energy Bites recipe.
No bake peanut butter energy balls are also naturally vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free.
Here are the three basic ingredients you need to make this recipe:
- Coconut flour - It is naturally grain and gluten free flour made out of coconut. It's rich in fibre, delicious and very versatile. It has a subtle taste and smell of coconut, but it's mild enough to blend with other flavours without overpowering them. Coconut flour is also very absorbent.
- Smooth peanut butter - Use creamy peanut butter for the best results.
- Maple syrup - This ingredient is acting as a sweetener here. Try to use pure maple syrup if possible.
Before you start to make these 3 ingredient peanut butter energy balls, make sure that your peanut butter has the right consistency. You want it to be spreadable and stirrable.
Hint: Gently warm up your peanut butter in microwave or place it in a small saucepan over a low heat until it has soft and stirrable consistency.
Place all three ingredients in a large mixing bowl or in a food processor and mix / blend until well combined. The mixture should resemble the texture of the cookie dough.
Scoop small amounts of the mixture and roll it into balls using your hands. You can use a small cookie dough scoop or a measuring spoon to get the balls equal in size. I always use my tablespoon measure.
Hint: A tablespoon measure (tbsp) is not the same type of spoon you eat with. Use the special measuring spoons widely available online and in stores.
Place the rolled balls on a lined baking sheet or tray and transfer to the fridge or freezer, allowing them to set and to firm up for an hour or so.
- Coconut flour can be substituted for an oat flour or almond flour.
- Peanut butter - Use natural peanut butter. If you want, you can change smooth peanut butter to crunchy peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter or any type of nut butter.
- Maple syrup - Feel free to swap it for any liquid type of sweetener, like agave syrup, golden syrup or honey (for non-vegans). Corn syrup or rice syrup will also work.
- Make it more nutty - Try adding small amount of chopped walnuts, cashews or pecans to the mixture (after you have blended the basic 3 ingredients). They will add lovely crunch and some more flavour.
- Make it fruity - Adding your favourite dried fruit can also be a great option. Add dried cranberries, raisins, chopped apricots or dates to the mixture.
- Chocolate peanut butter energy balls - Melt some chocolate chips or chopped chocolate and dip each ball into it melted chocolate.
This recipe can be made without any special equipment. You will need a large mixing bowl to combine the ingredients in.
Alternatively, you can use the food processor to make the no bake energy peanut butter balls.
Storage and freezing
These 3 ingredient peanut butter bites should be stored in the fridge at all times. You can transfer them into air-tight container and store them in the fridge for up to two weeks.
The energy balls can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw them at room temperature on the kitchen counter or place in the fridge to thaw overnight.
When preparing the mixture for your energy bites the texture feels a bit dry, add some more liquid sweetener.
If the mixture feels too wet or too moist, add some more flour.
3 ingredient peanut butter energy bites
- 1 Food processor optional
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 60 g organic coconut flour (I've used Groovy Food Company)
- 240 g smooth peanut butter
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup (or any other sticky sweetener of choice)
- Place all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl or food processor.
- Using a fork, mash it all together until well combined. If using food processor, blend until you have a well combined mixture that resembles the cookie dough.
- Scoop small amounts of this mixture and roll in your hands into small balls.
- Place the energy bites on a lined tray or plate and let them firm up in the fridge for about 25 minutes. Enjoy!
Please note that all my recipes are developed and tested in metric grams. I recommend that you use digital scales for a more accurate results. I have provided a conversion to US customary in the recipe but please note that I haven’t tested using this method.
- Coconut flour can be replaced by oat or almond flour.
- You can use any type of nut butter. Smooth or crunchy natural peanut butter, cashew butter, almond butter, hazelnut butter, sunflower seed butter, etc.
- Maple syrup can be replaced by any type of liquid sweetener like golden syrup, agave syrup, rice syrup or corn syrup. You can also use honey (if non-vegan).
- Use a small cookie scoop or a measuring tablespoon (tbsp) for scooping out the mixture.
Hi. Can I use protein powder instead of the coconut flour? Thank you
Hi Emily, I have not tried it with protein powder, so can't say for sure. Would love to know the results, if you give it a try!
I have two sons that are high school wrestlers. They usually bring bananas and honey on the day of tournaments for energy . I surprised them with these yesterday and they loved them ..there teammates were asking for them. Huge hit and they are delicious.
Oh that is so awesome to hear Debbie! I'm so happy that the boys (and the team!) liked them! They are perfect as a pre- or post- workout treat!
3 ingredients is the perfect amount of ingredients for a sweet treat! I can not wait to try these bites out! They look delish!
Thank you Jess, I couldn't agree more! Hope you will like these bites as much as I do!
Adding these to my menu this week! I am SO excited about them. They look absolutely delicious.
Yay, that's great, thank you Kita! Hope you will like them as much as I do!
Claire | The Simple, Sweet Life
These sound so delicious and easy to make to boot! I'm definitely going to have to make these this week for when I'm needing a little pick-me-up. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Pleasure all mine Claire, glad to hear you will be trying this recipe out! Let me know how did you get on!
GUNJAN C Dudani
These energy bites are so easy and satisfying. Not to forget how healthy they are. Love all the ingredients and definitely making them.
Thanks so much! And yes, they're definitely much healthier than many other energy bites bought from the shop! Let me know how did you like them if you try the recipe!
Marisa F. Stewart
How easy!! I'm always looking for something to satisfy the craving after a workout. This is absolutely perfect. In fact, my grandsons are into sports and these bites would help to keep their energy level up.
Thanks Marisa! They're my go-to for any pre or post workout cravings, and always do the trick! Hope the boys will like them too!
Loreto and Nicoletta Nardelli
So easy and so yummy, these energy bites! Love the flavor of the coconut flour!
Glad to hear that, thanks so much guys!
These peanut butter energy bites will make the perfect after school snack for my girls. They will also enjoy making these since they are super easy to make.
They would be perfect for that Kelly! And I'm sure the girls will enjoy making them too! Let me know if you try them!
These peanut butter energy bites looks sooooo delicious and really made me crave today. I'm going to make this at home. I'm sure my wife will love this, too.
Thanks Dennis, I hope you and your wife will enjoy these as much as I do! Let me know how did you guys like them!