This 5-minute easy vegan pesto is an absolute must in any kitchen! Perfect spread for your pizza, pasta, salad and many more dishes!
Happy Spring equinox guys!!!!
I can't even begin to tell you how excited and happy I am for the new season to officially start! Longer days (helllllooooo all that extra daylight and photo opportunities!), warmer temperatures, and everything is starting to turn green...
...speaking of which, today's recipe for this easy vegan pesto fits perfectly! It's super vibrant green colour will brighten up even the most boring dish, and if you ask me, it even looks like a spring in a jar...
I've been obsessed with green pesto for years, and it's one of these things that is always in my fridge. It's an absolute life saviour when you hungry and short of time or simply just fancy quick and easy lunch or dinner!
My easy vegan pesto recipe uses only 6 ingredients, and takes max of 5 minutes to make, so it literally doesn't get easier than this! The main ingredient, like in a classic pesto, is fresh basil, but you can also add some of your favourite greens, if you want to mix it up. Some spinach or kale, mixed with basil, will also create a wonderful flavours and textures. But it doesn't have to stop there, you can also use broad beans, peas, artichokes or mint. Experimenting with all these different flavours is a great way to find out what you actually like most!
Pine nuts are used traditionally, but as they can be quiet pricey, this can be customised. Walnuts or hazelnuts will also work well, and so would most of nuts actually.
If you are unable to use nuts, you can still make pesto, just simply add extra basil (or greens) in a place of nuts, and mix until the desired consistency is achieved.
This easy vegan pesto can be used to jazz up dishes like:
- pasta (...duh! my absolute favourite way to use pesto)
- pizza (see my Cauliflower Pizza Crust for some recipe inspiration)
- as an addition to your favourite dip
- as an addition to your mash (it also would go sooooo well with gnocchi, see my Gnocchi recipe for some inspiration)
- savoury bakes, like muffins or pastries
- spread it on toast
... possibilities are endless!
Enjoy your week ahead, and let me know if you're as happy about the spring as I am!
5-minute Easy Vegan Pesto
- 150 g fresh basil
- 160 g pine nuts (can also use walnuts)
- 2 medium garlic cloves (roughly chopped)
- 115 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
sea salt and black pepper
- Using a small food processor or blender, place all of the ingredients apart from extra virgin olive oil together, and blend until the mixture is coarsely ground and forms a loose paste.
- Add olive oil, a little at time, and blend a bit more, until the ingredients are combined.
Please note that all my recipes are developed and tested in metric grams. I recommend that you use digital scales for a more accurate results. I have provided a conversion to US customary in the recipe but please note that I haven’t tested using this method.