Made-from-scratch, this asparagus green pesto pizza is a great alternative to your Friday night takeaway! Top it up with your favourite spring produce to create some fantastic flavours and textures!
Long time no speak! Excuse the radio silence, I was crazy busy with many new side projects. But I'm back and I have exciting and delicious new recipe for you!
Asparagus green pesto pizza
This asparagus green pesto pizza is a celebration of new season's produce and will set your taste buds on a happy journey to deliciousness. Made from scratch pizza dough, topped with green asparagus, peas and cherry tomatoes plus some peppery rocket and healthy splash of olive oil. It makes great alternative to your traditional takeaway pizza, plus it's much healthier too!
What ingredients do I need to make this asparagus and green pesto pizza?
When making this pizza, you have couple of options available. You can make your pizza dough from scratch, in which case it will take just a little bit more effort. However, feel free to use ready-made pizza dough, the result will be equally delicious!
If you are looking for even healthier option, why not try making it on this vegan cauliflower pizza base?
If you are making pizza dough from scratch, you will need some strong white flour, yeast, salt, oil, milk and water. For the toppings, you will need some green asparagus, green pesto, peas, cherry tomatoes, rocket salad and mozzarella. Additionally, some dried chilli flakes and more olive oil. But feel free to be as creative as you want with your toppings!
Making pizza dough- step by step
Making pizza dough from scratch is quite easy and straightforward. Yes, it takes a bit of time and additional effort, but it's well worth it, plus once you've made a batch of it, you can simply freeze it and have it all ready for the next time!
Start by adding flour, yeast and salt into a large mixing bowl.
Add the olive oil and warm milk to this mix, then gradually start adding the warm water. Mix it all together using a wooden spoon to form a soft dough. Tip the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until it becomes soft and elastic.
Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces. At this point you can also freeze it. Simply wrap it in some kitchen foil/ cling film and place it in your freezer. Defrost it overnight in your fridge.
Roll the dough gently on a floured surface and place it on the oiled baking tray (or simply line it up with baking parchment). Spread about 1 tablespoon of green pesto on top, then add the blanched asparagus, green peas and cherry tomatoes and mozzarella.
Bake your pizza at 200 C for about 10 minutes or until the dough turns golden-brown. Once it's out of the oven, scatter some rocket, dried chilli flakes and add a drizzle of olive oil.
As mentioned before, feel free to experiment with different toppings in this recipe. You can add some spring onions, mushrooms, or even some wild garlic if you'd like! The possibilities are endless!
As always, thanks for reading and following along! It would mean a world to me if you can leave me a comment and a rating below! Also, if you would like to see what else am I up to, make sure to follow me on my Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest!
Asparagus Green Pesto Pizza
For the pizza dough:
- 650 g strong white flour
- 7 g dried fast action yeast
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 25 ml olive oil
- 50 ml warm milk
- 325 ml warm water
For the toppings:
- 4 tablespoon green pesto
- 400 g asparagus
- 100 g green peas
- 400 g cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 150 g mozzarella cheese (sliced)
- 120 g rocket salad
- 3-4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium lemon (juice only)
To make pizza dough:
- In a large mixing bowl mix together flour, yeast and salt. Add olive oil and milk, then gradually start adding water, mixing it all together until it forms soft dough. Turn the dough into a floured work surface and knead for about 5 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Transfer to a clean, oiled bowl and cover with tea towel. Set aside for about 1 ½ hour or until double in size.
- When the dough has risen, knock it back, then knead again until smooth, roll into a ball and set aside for 30 minutes to 1 hour until risen again. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Use straight away or freeze.
To prepare the toppings:
- Place the asparagus in a large pan of boiling water and blanch them for 2 minutes. Cool them under cold water and cut them in half. Blanch green peas in the same way. Set aside.
- In a small jar, mix together green pesto and lemon juice. Set aside.
To assemble pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 200 C. Roll each piece of pizza dough on a floured surface as thin as you can. Transfer into baking sheet lined up with baking parchment. Spread roughly 1 tablespoon of pesto on each pizza base, then top each pizza with asparagus, green peas, tomatoes and mozzarella slices. Bake for 10 minutes or until the base is golden. Top the pizzas with rocket salad, chilli flakes and drizzle with olive oil. Enjoy!
Please note that all my recipes are developed and tested in metric grams. I recommend that you use digital scales for a more accurate results. I have provided a conversion to US customary in the recipe but please note that I haven’t tested using this method.
- Prep time does not include making pizza dough. Allow minimum 2 hours extra if making the dough from scratch.
- Pizza dough can be frozen. If using frozen dough, defrost it overnight in the fridge.
If you enjoyed reading this recipe and would like to be notified as soon as new one is published, make sure to sign up to my mailing list! Let's be friends!