Totally irresistible and mouth-watering chocolate brownies with sweet and creamy peanut butter frosting. Vegan treat that even non-vegans will love!
How is your January going? Can you believe the first month of the year is almost over? Me neither! But I'm kinda glad, as January is always a drag and it feels like it goes on forever!
If one of your new year resolutions was to stay away from sweet treats, then you may want to skip this post and come back next week... Because today's post is ALL about sweet, decadent, rich and chewy chocolate brownies with creamy peanut butter frosting. Ready? Let's do this!
Best vegan chocolate brownies ever!
Bold statement, I know. But they seriously are the best vegan chocolate brownies. These babies are so decadent, chocolatey, rich and fudgy that they will have you hooked from the first bite! I have tried many vegan brownies in the past, and there were few good ones there, but none of them came even close to these. It took me three attempts to create this blog post, purely because the first two times the brownies disappeared before I had a chance to take any pictures of them...
Peanut butter frosting- it's what dreams are made of!
Partially, the reason why these vegan chocolate brownies are soooo irresistible, is because of this creamy, smooth and totally delicious peanut butter frosting. It is super easy to make, and takes these brownies to the next level of deliciousness. It could also be very easily eaten straight outta bowl... just saying...
This peanut butter frosting is great to work with and would go nicely with any type of cake or cupcakes. It can also double up as a spread on a toast or perhaps a slice of banana bread.
It's a decadent, rich and indulgent recipe, just like any brownie should be. They are not meant to be healthy, but super good and crazy tasty. As mentioned in my previous post here, this January I'm all about comfort food and cozy treats, rather than calories counting!
How to make vegan chocolate brownies with peanut butter frosting?
There is nothing complicated about this recipe, and if you want, you can prepare it all in one bowl. Start by mixing sugar and coconut oil, which should be melted and cooled down. Add cashew milk with apple cider vinegar and mix again. It's worth adding that you can use any type of milk of choice, cashew is my personal favourite, but the recipe will work with any milk.
Next is melted chocolate and vanilla. You may want to melt your chocolate first, as it should be cooled to room temperature before adding it in, however, if you choose to do it at this point, simply allow it to cool down a bit. Mix all the wet ingredients well and set aside.
After that, all that is left is to mix the dry ingredients in and stir to combine. Pour the brownie batter into prepared baking tin (I normally use 8 inch tin, however on this occasion, when I was taking pictures for this post, I had to use 7 inch one, therefore the brownies came out a bit 'taller' than I desired, they were still tasty AF), place in the pre heated oven and bake for 25 minutes.
After that time, check if the brownies are ready by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the bake. It should come out almost clean, but not entirely. Brownie should have slightly moist and wet texture, and it will still settle some more while it cools down. Make sure you have cooled it down completely, before topping it up with the peanut butter frosting.
Today's recipe and styling have been inspired by lovely Mei from nm_meiyee
I hope you will love these chocolate brownies as much as I do, and as always, let me know in the comments if you tried this, or any other of my recipes!
Vegan Chocolate Brownies with Peanut Butter Frosting
- 200 g soft light brown sugar
- 125 ml coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 230 ml cashew milk
- 100 g dark chocolate (min 70% cocoa solids) melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
For the peanut butter frosting:
- 250 g smooth peanut butter room temperature
- 115 g vegan spread
- 250 g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cashew milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan). Line up the square tin (I'm using 8 inch tin) with baking parchment, leaving some excess to overhang as it will help when removing brownies from the tin.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and coconut oil. Add cashew milk and vinegar, melted and cooled chocolate and vanilla extract. Mix it all well. In a separate bowl mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt, then fold them into the bowl with 'wet' ingredients. Stir it all well until just combined, then pour the mixture into prepared baking tin.
- Place the tin in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the inserted toothpick comes out almost clean. Other way to tell if it's ready is when the top has shiny, papery crust and the sides are just beginning to come away from the tin. Set aside to cool completely.
For the peanut butter frosting:
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl of an electric mixer and mix until well combined. You may want to add more/ less cashew milk, depending on desired consistency.
- Once brownie is completely cool down, spread the peanut butter frosting on top of it, then place in the fridge for about an hour, allowing it to firm up a bit. Slice into square pieces. Enjoy!
Please note that all my recipes are developed and tested in metric grams. I recommend that you use digital scales for a more accurate results. I have provided a conversion to US customary in the recipe but please note that I haven’t tested using this method.
If you would like to stay up-to-date with my latest posts and recipes, make sure to subscribe to my mailing list! Let's be friends!