Made with soft and squidgy marshmallows dipped in dark chocolate, these little bats are not only cute, but really fun treat to enjoy this Halloween! Only 4 ingredients and less than an hour to make, you and your kids are going to love them!
Super fun and easy Halloween treat
It's hard to call this one a recipe, really. Only 4 basic ingredients, and pretty much no equipment needed.
You will be surprised how super-easy these little bats are to make. No cooking, no baking, no faffing around.
All that you need is a bag of Oreo's, marshmallows, dark chocolate and some sugar eyes/ eyeballs. Additionally, you can also use some black gel food colouring to add some fangs, or some other sugar decorations, like little witches hats to stick on top.
4 simple steps to make this recipe
Honestly, this recipe is so simple, and that is what makes it perfect to make with kids!
Start by splitting the Oreo cookies. Scrape (or eat) the cream filling, and cut each half in half. These are the wings. Try using a sharp knife, and be gentle, as they can crush and crumble easily. Place the wings beside each other, onto the prepared baking tray.
Poke each marshmallow into bamboo skewer or lollipop stick, almost all the way to the top. Dip it in melted chocolate, and place on top of the Oreo wings.
Carefully add sugar eyes and transfer the tray into refrigerator for about 20 minutes. If you are using any other sugar decorations, take the tray out of the fridge after 10 minutes, add more decorations and return it back to the fridge for another 10 minutes.
How to melt the chocolate
When melting the chocolate, you have two options. Do it in a microwave, or melt it in a bowl, over a simmering water.
If you using microwave, simply place the chopped chocolate in a safe bowl, and melt it in 20 seconds intervals. Keep checking after each interval, and give it a gentle stir, until all of it is melted.
When using a bowl over simmering water, make sure the bottom of your bowl doesn't touch the water. If it does, your chocolate will burn and become grainy. Also, you want the water to simmer gently, over a low heat, rather than boiling vigorously.
Allow the chocolate to start melting, then gently stir it with spatula.
Whichever method you use to melt your chocolate, once you do, transfer it to a mug. It will be much easier to dip and cover the whole of marshmallow in it.
Can I make this recipe ahead?
You can make these chocolate marshmallow bats in advance. Simply store them in the fridge until you are ready to use them. They will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge.
As always, thanks for tuning in to today's post! Remember to leave me a comment and a rating if you try this, or any other of my recipes. I love hearing from you guys!
Chocolate Marshmallow Halloween Bats
- bamboo skewers or lollipop sticks
- baking paper
- 1 pack Oreo original cookies
- 1 medium pack of marshmallows
- 100 g dark chocolate melted
- 1 pack sugar eye balls
- Line a big baking sheet or a baking tray with some baking paper and set aside.
- Gently twist and turn the Oreo cookies, splitting them into two halves. Using a small knife, scrape the cream filling from the cookies. Using a bigger, sharp knife, gently cut each half of the cookie into two. Place two cut halves of Oreo cookies beside each other, forming 'wings' on a baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the cookies.
- Poke the marshmallows onto the skewers or lollipop sticks. Dip the marshmallow into the melted dark chocolate, turning it around to ensure you cover all of it. Gently tap any excess chocolate off on the edge of the cup.
- Place the chocolate dipped marshmallow on top of Oreo cookie wings.
- Carefully place the sugar eye balls onto the chocolate dipped marshmallow. Repeat until you have used all of the chocolate/ marshmallows. Transfer the tray into refrigerator for about 20 minutes, allowing the chocolate to set. Enjoy!
- If using bamboo skewers, please be careful as they have sharp edges. You may want to swap them for lollipop sticks to make them safer for kids.
- You can add extra details to your chocolate bats, like fangs, using some black gel food colouring. You can also add more edible sugar decorations, like little witches hats. If doing so, please allow the chocolate to set for about 10-15 minutes before adding the hats. Otherwise they may not stick and slide off the marshmallows.
If you would like to receive any future recipes straight to your inbox, make sure to sign up to my mailing list!