Happy Halloween to all of you treat & treaters out there!!! And to make your weekend even more awesome, I’ve got this great recipe for you! These vegan Halloween chocolate sugar cookies are spooky- licious and so fun to make! Ready, steady, BOO! 🙂
When it comes to cookies, there are only few recipes that I trust and use in my kitchen (you can check my previous posts for yummy chocolate cookies or almond butter cookies). And this is definitely one of them. So it is only fair, I share this goodness with you today. Plus it is a Halloween weekend, and I’ve got myself these fun cookie cutters just for this occasion, so here we are…
Because I’m a massive fan of Sally’s Baking Addiction and her outstanding blog, the recipe for these Halloween chocolate sugar cookies was adapted from her recipe for chocolate sugar cookies. Also, her baking tips are like gold! Take this one for example: instead of flour, use cocoa powder on your work surface for rolling out the cookie dough. As she says, flour is tasteless, so you may as well use cocoa powder and make your cookies even more chocolatey! Happy days!
If you are unfamiliar with her awesome baking blog, I strongly urge you to go and check it out! So much baked goodness, the only regret you will have is that you have not checked it out sooner!
Since trying these chocolate sugar cookies for the first time earlier this year, I have not bought any biscuits (as we do call them that in UK) or cookies from the shop! Trust me, you will understand, once you give them a try! The beauty of baking at home is that once you are into it, you will never look at the stuff in the shop the same way… because you know you can do it yourself, and it will taste 10000000 times better!
As in few of my previous recipes, aquafaba have been used as an egg replacer (in case if you are not familiar with aquafaba, read this post), and it worked perfectly fine. They turned out sooo tasty, with perfect chocolate flavour and that ‘snap’ sound to them too! Full package, if you ask me.
You can decorate them with some simple icing, or leave them plain, they will taste great either way! Perhaps, like me, you love the idea of sprinkling some icing sugar on top of them, just to jazz them up a bit 😉 But I must admit, there is something magical about decorating cookies, it makes you feel like you are a wizard who turns dough into life! If you are looking for some simple icing recipes, here is a great one to get you started.
Have a great Halloween weekend guys, whether you are making cookies or not! (but seriously, make these cookies!)
Halloween Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- 170 g vegan butter (softened to room temperature)
- 200 g brown caster sugar
- 2 tbsp aquafaba
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 185 g all-purpose flour
- 60 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- In a large bowl, using a hand held mixer, beat the butter for a minute or so, until smooth and creamy.
- Add the sugar and vanilla and beat together until light in colour and fluffy in texture.
- In a separate bowl, whip aquafaba until it has soft peaks.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix sugar and butter and beaten aquafaba together.
- In a medium bowl, sift together cocoa and flour, add baking powder and salt. Slowly, mix into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Divide dough into two equal parts and roll each portion out on a parchment paper to about 1/2 cm thickness. Place in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 175 C, line baking sheets with parchment paper (you may need few, depending on the size of your cookies).
- Remove one of the dough pieces out of the fridge and cut in shapes, then transfer into baking sheet, re-roll the remaining dough and repeat.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, rotate baking sheet half way through. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.