These coconut and peanut butter spiced energy bites will very quickly become your go-to snack! They take less than 15 minutes to make and taste much better than shop-bought alternatives!
If you've expected some spooky, scary and weird looking treats from me today, then I will have to disappoint you. But don't go away just yet! Today's recipe may not be very Halloween-y, but it is, none less, a very tasty treat suitable for kids and adults!
What are the energy bites?
Most of you are probably aware what they are, however, if you are not that familiar with this term, let me quickly bring you up to speed. Energy bites are (usually) small ball-shaped snacks combining a mix of protein, good carbs, healthy fats and high in fibre ingredients. They are filling and energising treats, ideal for anyone who is watching their weight, or just want to stick to healthier snacking.
It's the spices season!
As we are entering the cold part of the year, warming spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice or cardamom are a must for me. I add them to almost anything, from the porridge in the morning, to stews and curries for dinner. Let's not forget the hot beverages and ALL of the fall bakes and desserts. They just perk you up and add flavour to your cooking with minimal effort. Also, spices are guaranteed to make you feel cosy even on the coldest and most miserable day.
How to make coconut and peanut butter spiced energy bites?
Simply start with prepping your ingredients. I'm using whole rolled porridge oats in this recipe, but any type of oats will be suitable. Mix them with shredded coconut flakes (preferably unsweetened ones) and your favourite spice. I'm adding some mixed spice, as it has a bit of everything, but feel free to customise it to your liking. Once you have warmed up the peanut butter and mixed it with maple syrup, all that's left is to combine all of the ingredients together and roll! Easy, right?
Enjoy snacking without feeling guilty!
Don't get me wrong, if you demolish the whole batch of these babies in one sitting, it doesn't count as 'healthy snacking'. But having one or two of these bites, will definitely satisfy the cravings for something sweet, without feeling guilty. They can be a part of healthy, balanced diet, plus they are much cheaper alternative to the shop-bought ones!
I hope you've enjoyed today's recipe as much as I did! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
Stay warm and cosy!
Coconut and PB Spiced Energy Bites
- 260 g smooth peanut butter
- 120 ml maple syrup
- 130 g whole rolled oats
- 100 g shredded coconut flakes
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- Place the peanut butter in a medium saucepan over a small heat and keep stirring until it's melted and runny. Add maple syrup and keep stirring to combine both, until you have super smooth consistency. Take off the heat.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, shredded coconut and mixed spice. Add to peanut butter and maple syrup mixture and combine all together. Using your hands (or a cookie dough scoop), roll the mixture between the palms of your hands into small balls and place on the baking tray lined up with parchment paper. Once you have used up all the mixture, place the tray with balls into the fridge for at least couple of hours. Enjoy!
- Total time does not include chilling time
- Feel free to use any type of your favourite spice
- Energy bites will last for over a week in your fridge, just store them in the air-tight container.