Potato patties with chives- delicious recipe using leftover mashed potatoes! These easy and incredibly tasty patties made with just few ingredients are great as a snack or a main dish.
As it’s been a while since the last savoury recipe on the blog, I thought I will mix it up a bit this week. Let me introduce you to one of my all-time favourite, easiest and tastiest snacks (that can also double up as a main) out there…
…Potato patties with chives
These patties are sooo good and tick so many boxes! Firstly, they are great way to reduce food waste. They are made using leftover mashed potatoes. Secondly, there are only 7 basic ingredients you will need to make them. All of the ingredients are super simple and there are high chances that you will have them all in your kitchen already.
You can enjoy potato patties as a snack, or as a main dish. They can also be served as a side dish with almost anything, from fried egg to salmon or chicken. Crispy on the outside, but soft and fluffy in the middle, incredibly easy to make and loved by the whole family!
One bowl and 7 ingredients!
The beauty of this dish is in its simplicity. One bowl and 7 ingredients. That is all what you will need to make these. You simply mix all of the ingredients together with a fork, use your hands to shape the patties and use frying pan to cook.
If you are out of eggs, you can omit the egg in the recipe. It will still work and the patties will still taste delicious! Parmesan can be replaced by any other grated cheese you have available.
How to make these patties
There is literally nothing complicated about this recipe. You simply add the ingredients into a bowl and mix them all together.
Start with grated Parmesan, then add chopped chives. Pour in the beaten egg and mix it all with fork.
Add mashed potatoes and 35g of flour to this mixture and stir it all to combine. You may want to add some seasoning to taste.
Place this mixture in the fridge for few minutes, just so it can firm up a little. This way, it will be much easier to shape and handle the patties.
Once chilled, divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape into patties using your hands. Cover in flour on both sides, shake off any excess and fry in a bit of olive oil until golden brown on both sides.
Making ahead and freezing tips for potato patties
If you would like to make this recipe ahead, you certainly can. Simply shape the patties, cover in flour, place on a tray and transfer to the fridge for up to 24 hours.
They can also be frozen, but I would recommend to cook them first. Transfer cooked patties into airtight container or freezer bag and keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. To cook from frozen, I would recommend placing them in the oven preheated to 190C for about 10-15 minutes until the patties are warm.
Potato patties with chives
- 650 g cooled, mashed potatoes (any type)
- 45 g grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped chives (plus extra to garnish)
- 1 medium egg
- 65 g plain flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sour cream (optional)
- In a large bowl, place Parmesan cheese and 2 tbsp of chives. Add egg and mix until combined. Add mashed potatoes and 35g of flour and mix again until combined. Place the bowl with the mix into the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Place the remaining flour on a shallow plate or dish, divide the potato mixture into 8 equal portions. Using your hands, shape each portion into a patty, dredge each patty in flour on both sides, gently shaking off any excess.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry patties until golden brown on both sides (about 3 minutes on each side). Top with sour cream and more chives and enjoy!
If you would like to receive future recipes straight to your inbox, sign up to my mailing list!