Super clean spinach and beetroot salad, packed with fresh vegetables, drizzled with olive oil and lemon dressing. Perfect as a healthy lunch or dinner!
Happy weekend friends!
My salad love continues! Sticking to fresh veggies is still my priority for this month, and apart from a couple of small snaccidents, I've been all good, promise! 🙂 So today, I'm sharing another lovely, fresh and crunchy salad with you, just because it's simply too good and a 'must try'!
Because the ordinary lettuce can get a bit boring after a while, I do like to swap it occasionally for spinach. It's perfect to be used as a base for any salad, plus it's packed with ALL the good stuff like vitamin A, C, K, magnesium and iron. Just 100 grams will cover at least 20% of your daily need for all these nutrients! It's also a great source of the B vitamin, riboflavin, vitamin E and calcium, potassium and dietary fibre. As you can see, Popeye knew exactly what he was doing 🙂
As a kid, I could not imagine anything worse than eating spinach. Today, I can't live without this stuff. Alongside with broccoli (click here for my Broccoli Salad), spinach is my favorite green veggie, and I do eat it on a daily basis. If it's not with my lunch or dinner, it would definitely be in my smoothie. Because it's so worth it! Add a handful of fresh or frozen spinach to your smoothie, and you would not even notice that it's there (just in case if you are one of the spinach haters)...
Another great ingredient in this super clean spinach and beetroot salad is roasted buckwheat. Naturally gluten free, and just like spinach, it's a great source of fibre. Perhaps now you understand, why I dare to call this salad 'super clean'. As you can see, there is not even one bad ingredient here.
And just in case if all that goodness was not enough, there is lemon olive oil dressing. Delicate, fragrant and perfect companion to this salad! If you like to 'jazz it up' a bit, add some fresh mint leaves to your dressing. Small thing, but a huge difference to the taste buds!
And just in case, if like me, you are sticking to more veggies than cakes this month, good news is- we are half way there already! Also, what I've discovered recently is that it's not so much the cake that I crave, but baking itself (that's why I'm looking to engage in my local community, where I will bake, and the community will eat 😉 ). However, with salad like this one, I may continue my resolutions for longer than initially anticipated...
This super clean spinach and beetroot salad is naturally vegan and gluten free, plus it's super easy to make (yes, cutting beetroots and carrots into matchsticks is an effort, but it looks super cool, and I swear it makes them taste even better! 🙂 ).
Super clean spinach and beetroot salad (with lemon olive oil dressing)
For the salad:
- 150 g fresh spinach stalks removed
- 2 medium beetroots (cut into matchsticks)
- 2 medium carrots (cut into matchsticks)
- 300 g radishes thinly sliced
- 120 g edamame beans (or broad beans)
- 40 g flaked almonds lightly toasted
- 1 small handful pistachios roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp goji berries optional
- 150 g roasted buckwheat cooked
salt and pepper to taste
For the lemon olive oil dressing:
- 70 ml olive oil
- ½ medium lemon juice only
- 5-10 leaves fresh mint finely chopped (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together spinach, beetroot, carrots, edamame beans and radish.
- Add cooked buckwheat and mix gently together, add 30g toasted almonds, gojis and pistachios and toss together.
- To make dressing, mix all ingredients until combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, toss all together, sprinkle with the remaining toasted almonds.
If you enjoyed this recipe, make sure to check out my other salads recipes: