Saturday is finally here! And all the good things are happening on Saturdays.
Like this sweet potato and chickpea curry, which is also, accidentally vegan and absolutely delicious. So many delicious, healthy vegetables are packed into this sweet potato chickpea curry, it can easily contribute towards at least 3 of your 5 a day.
Firstly, the love of my life, sweet potato. One of the most versatile vegetables in the kitchen. And one of the tastiest. Secondly, cauliflower florets (cauliflower is predicted to be one of the most selling vegetables in 2017, due to being a great substitute for carbs). Last but not least, lovely chickpeas (remember to save that water from the can of chickpeas! use it to make delicious Pavlova's or this 'super pud'- Banana and Pecan Self- Saucing Pudding), then some spinach and chopped tomatoes. Veggie heaven!
This sweet potato and chickpea curry is a perfect, flavoursome meal, great for any day of the week. As it's ready in under an hour and requires minimum effort (apart from stirring occasionally), it will quickly become a favourite in your house!
Also, you don't have to follow this sweet potato chickpea curry recipe step by step, you can use your own favourite combination of vegetables and spices. And bulgur wheat can also be swapped for the traditional rice, quinoa or any other grain of your choice. So don't be put off by long-ish list of ingredients. Curries meant to be made by mixing lots of different spices and vegetables, there are no rights or wrongs here, so don't be afraid to experiment!
Have a great weekend guys, and until next time!
Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion
- 200 g cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoon mild curry paste
- 200 g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 200 g chickpeas cooked or from the can
- large handful of baby spinach
- handful of raisins
- 30 g cashews
- ⅓ teaspoon turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley optional
- 100 g cooked bulgur wheat to served
- In a large saucepan heat the oil and cook the onion and cauliflower florets for about 8- 10 minutes, until soften and golden in colour.
- Stir in the curry paste and cook for a minute.
- Add sweet potatoes, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Add raisins, turmeric, salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer for 15- 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the chickpeas, lemon juice, cashews and spinach and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley Serve with cooked bulgur wheat..
Please note that all my recipes are developed and tested in metric grams. I recommend that you use digital scales for a more accurate results. I have provided a conversion to US customary in the recipe but please note that I haven’t tested using this method.
Tried one of my recipes? I would LOVE to hear about it! Leave the comment below or tag me in your creations on social media #anna_banana_co
Rebecca de Silva
I literally love this recipe, I keep craving this for dinner. I have made it 4 times already. Sweet potatoes are such a great alternative to chicken and taste so much better!! Very fresh and hearty, which is perfect for me. Also, is great for this time of the year, just what I need, especially after attempting the gym, this is perfect to come home too. Thanks again Anna : ) Xxx
It makes me super happy that you have tried this recipe so many times and you like it!
Sweet potatoes are just great for everything! And this is a quick, fresh dish, like you've said, perfect to come home too 😉