This extra quick and incredibly flavoursome Thai Cashew Chicken Stir Fry will make a perfect weeknight dinner. Juicy chicken and crunchy, golden cashews covered in a very simple but incredibly delicious stir fry sauce made with only a handful of ingredients.
Serve it with Tilda Fragrant Jasmine rice, which is slightly sticky, with sweet floral fragrance, for a dish that is guaranteed to elevate your plate and take your taste buds on a delicious and memorable adventure!
This post is sponsored by Tilda. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Anna Banana possible!
Here's what you will need to make this quick Thai cashew chicken stir fry:
- Chicken - Use chicken breast or thighs for the best results and most juicy meat.
- Cashews - It is best to use raw cashew nuts. They add crunchy texture and delicious nutty flavour to this dish. Be sure to use unsalted cashews.
- Onion - You can use white, yellow or brown onion.
- Green onion/ salad onions - They will add extra flavour and nice pop of colour into the dish. We are using the white and the green part of the salad onions/ green onions.
- Red chilli - Optional addition, great if you want to have some extra spiciness in your dish. Fresh or dried red chillies will work fine. You could also use red bell pepper instead, just for an extra crunch and a pop of colour.
- Stir fry sauce is made using oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, fish sauce and small amount of white granulated or caster sugar and water. You can use vegetarian oyster sauce if you'd like. Choose the dark soy sauce, as it's much more intense in colour and flavour than light soy sauce.
- Tilda Fragrant Jasmine rice to serve - With its iconic sticky texture, this rice will bring sweet, floral notes to this dish and it is my go-to for any South East Asian inspired meals.
Scroll down to the bottom of this post for the recipe card and full list of the ingredients.
Before you start cooking this stir fry, make sure that all of the ingredients are prepared. Having all the vegetables chopped and the meat sliced and ready to go is a way to ensure the recipe comes together quickly.
Mix all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl or a jug and set them aside until required. Slice the onion and chillies or bell peppers (if using), mince the garlic and chop the green onions. Keep all of the ingredients next to the wok or frying pan.
Heat the oil in the wok, and start by adding cashews to it. Cook them until golden, and crunchy, about 5 minutes.
Combine all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
Fry the cashews until golden brown and crunchy.
Remove the cashews from the wok and add the sliced chicken. Allow it to cook for 5-6 minutes, or until it is cooked through and remove it from the wok.
Hint: When removing the cashews and chicken from the wok, place them on a towel lined plate. The paper towel will absorb any excess oil from both.
Fry the chicken until it is cooked through.
Fry the vegetables.
Add the onion and garlic, followed by the white parts of the green onions and sliced red chilies. Sauté until tender, then add the stir fry sauce. Once the sauce starts to thicken, return the roasted cashews and chicken into the wok, along with the green onions.
Add the sauce into the vegetables.
Add the chicken, cashews and green parts of spring onions.
Toss all of the ingredients together, covering them in the sauce, transfer to serving dish and serve!
What to serve it with
My favourite way to serve this cashew chicken recipe is with Tilda Fragrant Jasmine rice. It is an ideal addition to any South- East Asian dishes, with lovely and very subtle aroma and slightly sticky texture. It is also softer than than most white rice, and is widely used in Thai cuisine.
Cold cooked Tilda Fragrant Jasmine rice is also great to use as fried rice, as the lightly sticky grains separate really well when re-heated.
You can also serve it with simple side salad of choice. My Broccoli Salad with Creamy Cashew Dressing will work really well, and so will this Blackberry and Caraway Slaw. This Smashed Cucumber Salad is also another great option, and will compliment this Thai Cashew Chicken Stir Fry exceptionally well.
Thanks to Shopmium, you can now get £1 cashback when purchasing Tilda Fragrant Jasmine Rice. Visit this page on Shopmium website to get your cashback!
- Large wok or frying pan.
- Chopping board.
- Wooden spoon or spatula.
- Small mixing bowl.
- Small saucepan.
Store any leftover stir fry in the fridge, in the airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat it in the wok/ frying pan or in the microwave. You may have to add a splash of oil to the leftovers when reheating, just to revive them a bit.
You can also freeze the stir fry for up to a month. Allow it to cool completely, then place it in the freezer-friendly container. Thaw it in the fridge overnight.
To pin this recipe and save it for later, use the button on the recipe card, or on any of the photos above.
If you try this recipe, or any other recipe on Anna Banana, please take a moment to rate the recipe and/ or leave me a comment. I love hearing from you , but it also helps the other readers who are thinking of making the recipe.
Thai Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
- large wok or frying pan
- chopping board
- wooden spoon or spatula
- mixing bowl
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon white granulated sugar
- 200 g chicken breast or thighs skinless and boneless, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon plain/ all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 85 g cashew nuts
- ½ large onion cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium garlic clove finely minced
- 4 stalks green/ salad onions cut into 2cm lengths, white part separated from the green part
- 2 medium red chilli peppers deseeded and sliced thinly, optional
- 120 g Tilda Fragrant Jasmine Rice to serve
- Toss the sliced chicken in 1 tablespoon of flour and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar and 3 tablespoon of water.
- Add the vegetable oil into a wok or a large frying pan set over a medium heat and heat it up. Add cashew nuts and fry them for 5 minutes, until golden brown and crunchy. Remove from the wok/ frying pan and set aside.
- Place the chicken in the wok/ frying pan with the remaining oil, and cook it, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through, about 6-7 minutes. Remove the chicken from the wok and set it aside.
- Add sliced onion and minced garlic into the wok, and cook it for a minute. Add white parts of the green/ salad onions and finely sliced chilli pepper (if using). Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the sauce into the wok/ pan with the vegetables and cook for 1 minute, reducing it to a syrup-like consistency.
- Add the green parts of the green/ salad onions, chicken and cashew nuts. Toss all of the ingredients together, covering in sauce, for 30 seconds, then transfer them into a serving dish. Garnish with some extra chilli or fresh basil leafs, if desired
- Cook the Tilda Fragrant Jasmine rice according to a packet instructions and serve along with the stir fry.
Please note that all my recipes are developed and tested in metric grams. I recommend that you use digital scales for a more accurate results. I have provided a conversion to US customary in the recipe but please note that I haven’t tested using this method.