Oh hello there!
I performed a magic trick today...I've miraculously turned pizza into potatoes!
OK, I didn't really, but it sounded like a good header. The idea for today's lunch was a yummy homemade pizza, but as I was carrying it out of the oven onto my glorious snaps spot (to take a snap of it, obvs!)...it all landed on the floor, face down.
I felt like taking a part in 'You've been framed', but there was no fake audience laughs. Just me, thinking of every possible swearword I know in my head. So what does one do when hungry? Potatoes on the stick (a.k.a. Tornado Potatoes as some may call it, a.k.a. spiral potato called by others)!
If you are like me, and love potatoes dearly, then please check out these recipes, as I'm sure they will be right up your street too:
So, to make things much easier, start with soaking your skewers in some water for about an hour (to avoid them burning later in the oven). Once done, make sure to rub some rapeseed oil into them as well (it will help to move the spuddies on the skewer later on).
I must admit, it was a bit tricky to start with, how to cut the spud and how to make sure it will stay the way it should, but just like with everything else, with just a tiny bit of practice, you can become a pro- potato- spiralizer (or you can get yourself one of these fancy devices and they will cut the potato into tornado shapes for you, but i think it's so much more fun this way!).
They taste great with variety of sauces, or dips. I like to have mine with some spicy salsa or homemade ketchup.
Let me know if you try this recipe, I would love to hear what you think!
And remember to sign up to my email list if you would like to receive recipes like this one straight to your inbox.
- 4 large good quality baking potatoes (ideally choose the longer ones)
- 4-5 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Spices (I've used salt, oregano, smoked paprika, black pepper, thyme, and some chilli powder)
- Wash your potatoes
- Pierce potatoes with bamboo skewers, which were soaked and oiled up previously and ensure to move them up and then down on the skewer as it will help you later on to form a spiral shape
- With a small, sharp knife, start cutting the potato into spiral shape. Make sure you are cutting all the way into it until you can feel knife stopping on the skewer
- Gently loosen up the potato into spiral shape
- Place on the baking parchment and drizzle with rapeseed oil.
- Cover with your selection of spices
- Bake in the oven for about 30- 40 minutes in 200 Celsius, turn them on the other side half way through.