Delicious, delicate and super easy French crepes recipe that works every time! These crepes are great for breakfast, or tasty dessert, could also be made sweet or savoury!
Monday is here, and it’s time to share a delicious and super simple recipe for French crepes! And if that was not good enough, there is also a heavenly vanilla cashew cream filling to go with them! How’s that for the start of your week?
French crepes are seriously one of my absolute favourite things in the world! If you have been travelling around Europe, I’m sure you’ve noticed how popular these little huts selling perfectly round, thin, French crepes are. And I always seriously struggle just to pass by, without stopping to try one. Because there is no such thing as trying too many crepes. Am I right?
And for someone who loves French crepes so much, I do not have anywhere near enough recipes of them on this website. So far, I have only featured them once, in this traditional mushroom and sauerkraut croquettes post. So today, I’m using the very same batter recipe, but that heavenly vanilla cashew cream filling will turn them into a sweet version. Because that’s a great thing about French crepes, they can be served as sweet or savoury, with any toppings that you like.
Just a couple of things to remember, when making crepes:
- you don’t need any fancy equipment, just a good, non- stick frying pan. Good frying pan is probably the most important ingredient
- allow the batter to rest, ideally for a couple of hours, but if you are pushed for time, an hour will do
- do not over- grease your frying pan (I normally use a bit of paper kitchen towel dabbed in a bit of oil to grease my pan with)
- make sure the frying pan is hot before pouring the batter
If you follow all of the above, I guarantee you will have perfect results every time!
Another great thing about these French crepes, they will work great as a breakfast, brunch or dessert. I love to serve them in their sweet version for lazy weekend breakfast, with some berries on top, or filled with savoury fillings for dinner.
Hope this recipe will become one of your favourites too, and as always, let me know what you think!
Have a great start of the week and until next time!
Vegan French Crepes
For the crepes:
- 200 ml almond milk (or any other non- dairy milk of choice)
- 40 ml water
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil (or melted vegan spread)
- 125 g all- purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2- 3 tbsp sparkling mineral water
For vanilla cashew cream:
- 130 g cashew nuts (soaked for about 3-4 hours or overnight)
- 45 ml coconut oil (melted)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp almond milk (or any other dairy- free milk)
To make crepes:
- Place all the ingredients apart from sparkling water into a medium bowl and using an electric mixer, whisk them all together until you have a smooth batter. Add sparkling water and mix again. Place your crepe batter in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Lightly grease a medium frying pan and heat the pan util hot. Pour about 4 tablespoons of batter into the pan and swirl it around to ensure even coverage. Fry on each side for about couple of minutes, until golden.
To make cashew cream:
- Add all the ingredients into a high powered blender and pulse until you have a creamy, smooth texture. Keep adding some almond milk (a little at the time) if texture feels too thick, until you have the desired consistency.
- Spread some cashew cream on the surface of your crepe, fold and enjoy!
- You don't have to add sparkling water to your batter, but adding it will result in much lighter, fluffier and better texture of your crepes.
- Resting crepes batter before using it is crucial, as it gives the batter thicker, more viscous consistency.
- See the savoury version in this post