Guys, one word. Cheese. OK, perhaps two words, Vegan Cheese. This Holy Grail of vegan world is finally in my fridge and I feel like I won a lottery ticket! And trust me, you will also feel like a million bucks after trying this recipe!
So to all of you out there, who tried to replace cheese in your diet, you know well, how hard it is. I've tried many times, and failed even more. But this one...ohhh sweet friends! This one is a game changer. Cheese on toast? No problem! Pizza with cheesy topping? Easy! Mozzarella sticks?!?!?!?!? YES, PLEASE!
I took few pictures and videos of me making it and I published it on my Instagram stories (this new, annoying and time consuming thing that we all love!) @anna_banana_co, and jeeeeezzzz!!! I seriously do not remember being bombarded with this many messages in my life, ever! Sadly, they were all about cheese, not me 😉 So evidently, we all love cheese!!! The fact that it's vegan is just a massive bonus! So if you are trying to eliminate dairy or perhaps trying to go vegan, but cheese is your soft spot, then you just won the jackpot! Triple 'WHOOP!'
As mentioned in my previous post here, I have tried the recipe from Avocados and Ales, and you can find the original one here. I tried it and I loved it. However, due to not having few specific ingredients and being slightly more than enthusiastic with my spices, I have made few swaps and the results were awesome!
Personally I prefer to use cashew milk instead of aquafaba because the taste is just milder and smoother. It also helps to keep the colour of the cheese to stay lighter. However, you can even swap nut milk for water, and it will also taste great.
This vegan mozzarella cheese will taste great grilled on toast or as a pizza topping as it melts just like an ordinary cheese (OK, maybe not just like cheese, but almost exactly same). I was really surprised how easy it was to make. Apart from one ingredient which is kappa carrageenan, the rest should be in your kitchen already, but luckily living in the golden age of internet means that if you do not have something today, there is always Amazon and scary courier driver that will deliver it to you tomorrow.
Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ cup raw cashews (soaked overnight or boiled for 15 minutes)
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 cup cashew milk (or water)
- 2 tsp kappa carrageenan (or substitute for 2 tbsp agar powder, check the notes below)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp refined coconut oil (melted and cooled)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- Blend cashews and milk (or water) in a high speed blender until as smooth as possible.
- Strain through fine sieve and return back to blender, adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend again until smooth and transfer to a medium saucepan.
- Place on a medium heat and keep stirring often.
- When mixture becomes quite thick and bubbly around the edges, take off the heat and transfer into mold and place in the fridge for 3-4 hours, allowing it to firm.
Please note that all my recipes are developed and tested in metric grams. I recommend that you use digital scales for a more accurate results. I have provided a conversion to US customary in the recipe but please note that I haven’t tested using this method.