Vegetable fritters with smoky tomato salsa! Made with zucchini, carrots and potato, yummy rosti, great for snacking or as a side dish.
Loong time no see! And I’m so happy you are here! Because this is my favourite time of the year. And what a start of the month we’ve had! With temperatures hitting above 20 Celsius over the last couple of days, I’m hopeful for the rest of the season to be as good!
And just as much as I love April and this time of the year, I do love comfort foods. So please excuse not- so- Spring- worthy- recipe, but it kinda works for any time of the year. It’s inspired and adapted from Aine Carlin’s book Keep it Vegan, which I’ve had for ages. But it wasn’t until last week, when I saw it in two of my favourite magazines, before I gave it a go.
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had rosti aka fritters about trillion times in my life (in case if you have missed it, here’s the recipe for Potato and Kale Rosti from last season). But this recipe includes that smoky salsa, and I just can’t tell you enough how good it is! Also, it’s all pretty much vegetables and spices, and other than frying part, it’s all healthy!
Smoky tomato salsa adds a great flavour to this dish, and it’s a perfect dip to use with these vegetable fritters. Don’t be tempted to do any shortcuts with your salsa. Roasting the tomatoes first gives the salsa much better, richer taste and brings the sweetness out in the tomatoes.
Another thing, make sure the patties are not too small and thin, when forming them with your hands. Because you will end up with thin, flimsy fritters, and nobody wants that. Think the size of a burger. But flatten them up a little with a spatula or a fork while frying in the pan. That way the fritters will keep their shape and texture.
Vegetable fritters can be served as a side dish, snack or a main course (you can make one large fritter). They are best served fresh, but can be re- heated in the oven. Just remember to top them up with that smoky salsa! Your taste buds will thank you later…
Until next time!
Vegetable Fritters with smoky salsa
For Vegetable Fritters
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 2 medium zuchini
- 2 large carrots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cajun pepper
- 200 g cherry tomatoes (plum tomatoes will also work well)
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2 medium roasted red peppers
- 1 medium red chilli (seeds removed)
- 1 small garlic clove (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 fresh lemon (juice only)
- Heat the oven to 200C (400F). Place the tomatoes on a baking tray. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with sugar and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes and set aside to cool.
- Place the tomatoes, peppers, chilli, garlic and smoked paprika into a blender, season some more if needed and blitz to a sauce.
- Grate all vegetables and place in the centre of a clean tea towel, squeeze all the excess liquid from the vegetables. Place them in a large bowl, stir with seasoning, lemon juice and drizzle of oil.
- Using your hands, form small patties from vegetable mix. Heat some oil in the medium pan and fry the rostis on each side for about 5-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with smoky salsa and some fresh parsley.
Remember to let me know if you tried any of my recipes! Leave me a comment below or tag me with your creations on social media #anna_banana_co