These apple and granola breakfast muffins will guarantee a delicious start of the day! Packed with juicy raisins and sweet dates, they will quickly become your favourite breakfast companion!
How is your week going? I must say, this week has been testing me, and my patience, on sooooo many different levels (story for a different post perhaps)! But hey, it's pretty much the weekend, and we've made it! That deserves a celebration, right?
Ever since after Christmas, I have been pretty good with my diet and exercises. Occasionally, I would steal a chip (or 10) from Jon's dinner, but other than that, I've been clean for most of it. Promise! But sometimes, when the cravings strike, you just have to satisfy it, and that's that. And normally, if I have a craving, it will be for a chocolate, cookie, brownie or a muffin (in some extreme situations, ALL of them)...
And the other day, I really fancied a nice, big, fluffy and delicious breakfast muffin. Not the one that is so sweet, it will make you feel sick and leave you dehydrated after eating it. No, just a simple muffin, made with good, healthy-ish ingredients that will not make me feel guilty or hyper on sugar. So I have immediately thought of my Breakfast Muffins, but then, my friend, who also shares my passion for a good breakfast muffin, pointed me into a different recipe, which had granola as one of the ingredients. I was very curious to see what granola will actually taste like in a muffin, and that's really how this recipe came to be.
It's adapted from Donna Hay recipe, and after swapping and changing few ingredients, I've managed to come up with this vegan and dairy free version. Granola works great in this recipe, it adds extra texture to the muffin, and creates this super crunchy topping. They are stuffed with raisins and dates, which are a great source of energy and fiber. Plus, they also add extra sweetness to the muffins without adding millions of calories! Win-win!
These breakfast muffins will taste best when they are still warm, but they will still be good the next day (that is if you manage to have any left), although you may want to heat them up in the oven just for few minutes. While they are still warm, you can also drizzle them with some maple maple syrup for some extra oomph!
Thanks for reading, and as always, let me know if you try this or any other of my recipes!
Until next time!
Apple and Granola Breakfast Muffins
- 375 g self-raising flour
- 120 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 120 g chopped, pitted dates
- 80 g raisins
- 185 g granola
- 150 ml plain soya yogurt
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 125 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 180 ml almond milk (or any other dairy-free milk of choice)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 small apples (peeled, cored and grated)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (160 C fan). Line up the 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. Place the flour, sugar, cinnamon, dates, raisins and ¾ of the granola in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix together yogurt and apple cider vinegar, set aside for a couple of minutes. In a separate bowl, mix together olive oil, milk, vanilla extract and apples. Add yogurt with vinegar and mix some more.
- Add all the wet ingredients into dry ones, and stir until just combined. Divide the mixture into prepared muffin tin, then sprinkle on top with the remaining granola. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown, or until inserted in the middle skewer comes out clean. Enjoy!