Caramel mocha flavoured chocolates, ideal as a gift for the loved ones, or perfect indulgent treat for yourself!
Love is in the air guys, and love deserves chocolate.
So this is first chocolate- related post for over a month! And with Valentine's just around the corner, I couldn't think of a better excuse to finally make a sweet treat.
As we have approached February, I'm already starting to feel better and more 'up-beat'. And I must admit, last few weeks felt a bit gloomy. And I've been feeling sorry for myself. So if winter has been taking its toll on you too, what a better way to enhance the mood, than with chocolate! Perhaps I should have never stopped eating it...
Because Valentine's Day is coming up, these caramel mocha chocolates will be a perfect gift for your loved ones! Just pop them into a fancy looking box lined up with some tissue paper and you have a great treat made with love, that anyone will appreciate. And if you are lucky, they may share them with you. Or, if you are still searching for love, or you are not bothered by Valentine's Day at all, they are still worth making. Because chocolate tastes good, regardless of what day it is.
My recipe was inspired by wonderful Aimee from Wallflower Kitchen and her great recipe for Raw Salted Caramel Chocolates. I knew I wanted heart- shaped chocolates filled with dates, but also wanted to add some different flavors to it. As coffee is much liked in our house, I've decided to add some Kahlua, coffee flavored liqueur, but coffee extract will also be good to use. And I'm using some whole hazelnuts, but they are totally optional.
Filled with date paste and flavored with Kahlua, to get that mocha flavor, they truly are a decadent treat worth breaking your diet for. And most of the sweetness comes from dates, which are naturally sweet and full of nutrition. So no need to worry about sky high sugar content. Almost no refined sugar, so they are practically healthy, if you ask me.
Ideally, you will need chocolate molds. However, you can also turn them into 'chocolate bites', just roll small ball- shaped bites with date paste, and dip them in chocolate. Each way is really easy, quick and will result in delicious treat.
Happy Valentine's & have a great weekend!
Caramel Mocha Chocolates (Vegan)
- 50 g white chocolate (dairy- free if vegan)
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp Kahlua
For the filling:
- 5 medjool dates (pitted and chopped)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted and cooled)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- few whole hazelnuts (optional)
- Melt white and dark chocolate in a separate bowls over a saucepan with simmering water. Set aside.
- Mix dark chocolate with Kahlua. Using a toothpick or a small spoon, scatter white chocolate into chocolate molds. Set in the fridge for 2 minutes.
- Add roughly a teaspoon of dark chocolate into each chocolate mold. Move the chocolate mold around every time before filling it up again, ensuring sides of the mold are covered in chocolate. Freeze for 5- 10 minutes.
- To make the filling, mix dates, coconut oil, maple syrup and salt in a blender, until you have thick paste.
- Add ¾ teaspoon of the paste into each chocolate mold (½ tsp if using hazelnuts) and fill up with the remaining chocolate. Freeze for 40 minutes.
Tried one of my recipes? I would LOVE to hear about it! Leave the comment below or tag me in your creations on social media #anna_banana_co