It's summer, I know. I should be craving salads, light lunches, ice cream and lemonade. Instead, I'm destroying high quantities of porridge, pasta and muffins! Jeeezz, what is wrong with me? Is there something wrong with me? For the time being, let's just say there is nothing wrong, and it's perfectly normal to bake double chocolate muffins in the summer heat (because believe it or not, UK is having summer weather for the next two weeks!).
I've been feeling really lazy lately. Like suuuuuper laaaazyyyy. So lazy, I didn't write a post for a whole week for the first time in months! So lazy, I didn't remove that chipped nail varnish for another 3 days after noticing it looks like it should be removed a week ago. So lazy, that I've asked my other half to change the channel on TV, despite the fact I'm holding the remote control in my hand. If there was an academy and awards ceremony, for who's been the laziest person in the entire Universe over the last two weeks, I'm telling you, I will win first, second and third place. If I could be bothered to show up...
However, the one thing I can be bothered about, luckily, is food, and as said before, when cravings strike, they have to be satisfied. That plus I came across this awesome chocolate muffins recipe by very talented lady, Michaela Hartwig on her beautiful blog, which you can check here . After seeing pictures of her chocolate muffins, I really have to make my own, so I came up with this vegan version.
They turned out to be ahhh-mayzing, so not to try them would be a crime. Super soft, and sooooooo chocolatey, you will not stop at one my friend, so be warned! 12 muffins disappeared quicker than anyone expected. After they were all gone, some of us have been found sniffing for crumbs, so if that is not a sign of a good muffin, I don't know what is!
Summer or not, these babies will go nicely at any time of the year or week, or day... Add a glass of milk, or spread some peanut butter or cashew cream to mix things up, but they taste just as great on their own, and will send you to chocolatey heaven for a little while...
Double Chocolate Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate (chopped)
- ⅓ cup milk chocolate (non dairy , chopped)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 flax eggs
- ½ cup nut milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 180° C.
- Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- Add apple cider vinegar to nut milk and set aside for 5 minutes allowing it to 'curdle'.
- In a large bowl, mix together maple syrup, vegetable oil, milk, flax eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl combine together dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ones, and combine together, but do not stir for too long, just make sure there are no big flour clumps.
- Mix in ⅔ of chopped chocolate.
- Fill muffin cases to about ⅔ height and sprinkle with the rest of the chocolate.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
Please note that all my recipes are developed and tested in metric grams. I recommend that you use digital scales for a more accurate results. I have provided a conversion to US customary in the recipe but please note that I haven’t tested using this method.