This delicious, velvety smooth, spicy butternut squash soup is guaranteed to warm you up even on the coldest day! Using only a handful of healthy ingredients, it doesn’t get easier than this!
Pheeeew! What a week it has been!
We’ve survived the snowmagedon of 2018! There is not even one snowflake left outside, which is still quiet hard to believe! The temperatures have risen to almost double digits, which is even harder to believe…
And rumour has it, that Spring is on its way, although nothing will surprise me anymore, after the events of the last week! While the snow was falling, and as mentioned in this post here , chaos was spreading across the whole country, and believe it or not… the shelves in the shops became empty… Seriously, when I went to my local shop, there was barely any food left, and that was day 2 of the big freeze. We still had at least 3 more days of that to go, according to the weather predictions, so I knew I will be making most of my food from scratch (mainly due to the shortage of any type of ready or convenient meals in the shops!).
So, naturally, the first thing that came to my mind was this spicy butternut squash soup. It could also have something to do with the fact that there were plenty of them left in the empty ‘fruit & veg’ section of the supermarket… Either way, this spicy butternut squash soup is what kept me (along with many layers and central heating) warm and cosy over the last few days!
It’s super easy, and to make this recipe, I’m only using a handful of ingredients. All what it takes is just some squash, hot chillies, onion, garlic and vegetable stock. As simple as that! You can naturally add your own herbs and spices to the soup, but I like to keep this one quiet simple, with some salt, pepper and dried chilli flakes.
The sweet, creamy and smooth texture of this butternut squash soup is guaranteed to warm you up, even on the coldest of days. And the heat from red chillies gives it that extra kick, and even more warmth to your body!
I hope you will enjoy this simple, yet so delicious spicy butternut squash soup as much as I did! Have a great week ahead and talk soon!
Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 kg butternut squash (peeled and deseeded weight)
- 2 small onions (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small hot red chillies (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh sage leaves (optional)
- 900 ml hot vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp soya yogurt (optional)
- Heat the oven to 200C / 180C fan. Cut the squash into medium cubes and transfer into a large roasting tin with 1-2 tbsp olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes, until soft and golden, turning half way through.
- In a meantime, in a large saucepan heat the remaining olive oil then add the onions, garlic and chillies. After about 10 minutes, add fresh sage leaves and cook covered for another 5 minutes.
- Tip the squash into the saucepan, add hot vegetable stock. Using a stick blender whizz all the ingredients until smooth. Add seasoning, like salt and pepper to taste. Serve with swirls of soya yogurt on top, decorate with fresh sage leaves and chilli flakes. Enjoy!