Hey, hi, happy new week!
Over the last few days we've seen the arrival of frost and some really cold weather, and that can only mean one thing. Change of seasons is hanging in the air again, and without a doubt- winter is coming! But don't worry. With today's recipe for sweet potato cinnamon rolls, even the coldest and darkest of the evenings will turn into a highly pleasant one!
As some of you may remember, last year, I've created these Orange and Cranberry Buns. They were a huge hit with friends and family, and have become a regular in our house. I've been baking sweet rolls almost every weekend during festive season, and well after that, through the most of winter. And I have been doing so for the last few years. Because there is nothing better than a big, fluffy and gooey bun and a mug of hot chocolate on the cold day or night.
So to keep this baking tradition going, this year, I've decided to opt in for cinnamon rolls. Much simpler and less demanding than Chelsea buns. They are super soft, extremely fluffy and wonderfully gooey. When eaten still warm, they almost melt in your mouth, and I guarantee you will not stop at one! See that baking tin in my pictures? Well... I can confess that me and Jon ate the whole thing between two of us. They are that good! And we have no regrets, whatsoever!
Adding sweet potato to the dough will give your cinnamon rolls that orange glow, plus it's also acting as an egg replacement, ensuring your dough will have that soft and smooth texture. And it counts as 1 of your 5 a day, so it's almost like eating a salad 😉 They are just perfect for sweet breakfast or brunch, or festive gatherings with family and friends. You can make this recipe ahead, up until step 7. Just simply place your dough in an oiled bowl covered with cling film, and place in the fridge overnight. When you are ready to start making the cinnamon rolls, take the dough out of the fridge, bring it to room temperature and continue from step 7 onward.
You can top them with simple icing, or to make them even more indulgent, cream cheese frosting. Either way, they will become your favourite winter treat for sure!
Have a great week ahead, and until next time!
Vegan Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls
- 220 g sweet potato (weight after peeling)
- 230 ml warm almond milk (or any milk of choice)
- 2 ¼ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 480 g all-purpose flour
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 70 g vegan spread or butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon salt
For cinnamon filling:
- 150 g brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon cinnamon
- 70 g vegan spread or butter (softened)
- 110 g icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon almond milk (or any milk of choice)
- Cut peeled sweet potatoes into small cubes and place in a medium pan with water, bring to boil and cook for 15 minutes, or until they are soft. Mash and set aside to cool.
- Pour warm milk into a bowl and add yeast. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, the mixture should start frothing up.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, spread or butter and salt.
- Add cooled and mashed sweet potato into the yeast mixture and stir together.
- Pour milk/ yeast and sweet potato mixture into flour mixture and using the dough hook of electric mixer (you can also use your hands for kneading the dough), mix well until all the ingredients are well incorporated and you have a smooth dough.
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with cling film. Allow to rise for an hour or until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into rectangle, roughly about 18 inches long and 12 inches wide. It should be roughly ¼ inch thick.
- Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon. Spread the butter across the dough, leaving small gap on each side. Sprinkle over the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Working carefully from the long edge, roll the dough down to the bottom edge. Using a sharp knife or a floss, cut the dough into 16- 18 equal pieces (the amount will vary, depending on the length of your dough).
- Grease baking pan or tray, and transfer you rolls into it. Cover with cling film and allow to rise for another 30 minutes or until they have doubled in size. Pre-heat the oven to 170 C (temperature may vary, depending on the oven type).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 10- 15 minutes. In a mean time, mix together the icing sugar and milk. Drizzle rolls with icing sugar. Enjoy!
Please note that all my recipes are developed and tested in metric grams. I recommend that you use digital scales for a more accurate results. I have provided a conversion to US customary in the recipe but please note that I haven’t tested using this method.
This recipe is delicious! Even though I measured all ingredients with a scale, I still had to add about half a cup of extra flour to make the dough workable… but not surprising given the humidity where I live. Highly recommend!
Thanks so much Maree! I'm so glad that you enjoyed these!
Thank you for this recipe! I tried it and it was super super delicious!!
These sweet potato cinnamon are great. I love to try your recipe at home.
Oh Alena! I really hope you will get to try them! Let me know if you do!
And thanks so much!
The best cinnamon buns I’ve tasted in my life!
Thank you for sharing this deliciousness with us!
I'm so happy to hear that Jane!
Your comment literally made my day! Thank you!
I can honestly say that this is one of the best cinnamon rolls recipes I've tried! I made them yesterday, and they've turned out just perfect! Much fluffier and lighter than many cinnamon rolls I've tried previously! I think this will be my new favourite recipe, thank you for sharing this!
That is such a great news! I'm over the moon to hear that you've enjoyed the recipe! So happy to hear that, and thanks so much for kind feedback!
Sophia | Veggies Don't Bite
Cinnamon rolls are life. I could literally not live without them. I'd like to shove each and every one of these into my mouth, and I'd have zero guilt.
Haha, Sophia, I totally agree!
They are just the best treat ever, and it's sooo easy to just eat a whole tray by yourself!
Evi @ greenevi
This is so creative, Anna! I've never had sweet potato cinnamon rolls before, but I'm sure they taste amazing....my mouth is totally watering now looking at your pictures.
Pinned, great job, my friend 🙂
Evi, you seriously making me blush! Thank you so much for stopping by and this sweet comment! Wish you were closer so we could share a mountain of cinnamon rolls!
Okay, swoon. These look BEYOND amazing. Like, crazy amazing. And love that they're vegan friendly!
Thanks so much for your kind comment Karly!
They are my favourite treat at this time of the year, and the fact they are vegan is just added bonus!
I've never made my own cinnamon rolls... these are making me reconsider that, ha! They look amazing.
Thank you & oohhh please do Sarah!
They are surprisingly easy to make, and you will not regret that decision! 😉
Cinnamon rolls are the best dessert! ❤️
Couldn't say it better myself!
These cinnamon rolls are FLAWLESS, so beautiful!
Thank you Jasmine!
Very happy to hear you like them!
Linda from Veganosity
Yum, what could be better than warm homemade cinnamon rolls on a cold wintry morning? These look delicious!
I say nothing could be better than that Linda!
Well, maybe if someone will serve them to me in bed... 😉
Thanks so much!
Britt | Sweet Tea & Thyme
Wow, I've never had any vegan cinnamon rolls before, but because these have sweet potato I'm gonna give them a try!
I'm so glad to hear that you may give them a try Britt!
Hope you will enjoy them as much as I do! Thanks so much!
These cinnamon rolls look fabulous and I'm loving the sweet potato in these. Such a unique idea! Perfect to serve up with the morning coffee.
Thanks so much, happy to hear you like them! They go nicely with an afternoon cup of tea too! 😉
Elaine @ Dishes Delish
Mmmm. These sweet potato cinnamon rolls look so delicious!! I love keeping the recipes as healthy as possible! Great recipe!!
I'm with you on that one! And really happy to hear you like this recipe!
These are gorgeous rolls for the holidays....gluten free rolls don't rise like this.
And that's a shame, I don't really know enough about GF baking... But I will keep you posted if anyone tries to make them with GF ingredients!
I really like that these cinnamon rolls act as a salad - LOL! Save some for me!
Hah, thanks Lisa! I'm glad we agree! 🙂
And no problem, let me knw when you are coming over, I will have a spare one (or ten) for you!