September is almost over already! Isn't that crazy?
But before the month ends, I thought I will feature the recipe with two vegetables, that are at their best this month. Courgette (or zucchini, depending on which part of the globe you live on) and corn.
Apparently, courgettes are one of the easiest and most productive crops to grow. Just two or three plants, can provide enough veg to keep you going throughout summer and early autumn. Also, they are among one of the fastest growing vegetables, from sowing, to eating your first courgette could take as little as 6 weeks!
Sounds good, right? The only problem is, that you may actually end up with more courgettes than you have bargained for. Among the home gardeners, it has a bit of a reputation for overwhelming production. And there are only as many courgettes as one can eat... So, if you are struggling to find the use for them, today's recipe is for you! It's so quick and easy, and can be served as a full meal, or a side dish. Corn and courgette fritters are great idea for lunch or dinner, and can be made in under 20 minutes, ideal meal, when you are short of time.
You may remember my recipe for Potato Rosti or Vegetable Fritters from earlier this year. This courgette fritters recipe is very similar, but includes some extra flour and an egg in the mix. The flour will give them a bit more texture and will add an extra crunch to the outside of the fritters, and egg will hold it all nicely together. But, if you are vegan, you can simply skip an egg, and replace it with the flaxegg. Or you can skip the whole flour + egg combo (traditional fritters recipes do not call for either) all together, and will still end up with a great result.
I hope you will like them!
Have a great weekend and until next time!
Courgette and corn fritters with spicy dip
- 2 medium courgettes (grated)
- 1 small can of sweetcorn (198g)
- 1 small onion (grated)
- ⅔ cup all- purpose flour
- 1 small egg (optional)
- ⅓ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup vegetarian Parmesan (optional)
- 6 tablespoon vegetable oil (for frying)
Spicy Sriracha Dip:
- 1 cup soya yogurt (or any other yogurt)
- 2 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- Using a clean tea towel, squeeze as much liquid from grated courgettes and onion as possible. Transfer courgettes and onion into a large bowl.
- Add sweetcorn, flour, egg and mix well. Add all the spices and Parmesan (if using), and mix well again, until all the ingredients are combined.
- Heat small amount of vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Using ¼ cup mixture per fritter, spoon out the mixture and fry each fritter for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Mix the yogurt with Sriracha sauce, and serve along side with fritters. Enjoy!
Please note that all my recipes are developed and tested in metric grams. I recommend that you use digital scales for a more accurate results. I have provided a conversion to US customary in the recipe but please note that I haven’t tested using this method.