Light, fresh and seasonal strawberry and mango salad with ginger flavoured dressing. Easy meal packed with summer flavours!
Hello & happy Wednesday!
I think it's fair to say, that during this month, most of us will be eating our body-weight in strawberries... If there is one thing that June is all about, then it has to be strawberries, right? So, today's recipe is packed with these sweet and juicy, summery fruits!
Strawberry and mango salad
I've chosen this strawberry and mango salad recipe, because its super easy to make, and it's a great, lighter option for lunch or dinner. Also, it's a great way to enjoy the fresh strawberries, once you get bored of eating them on their own (and if baking is not your thing!). Served with simple, yet so flavoursome and refreshing ginger vinaigrette, it will make a beautiful, tasty and a healthy meal!
Super easy salad to make
The process of making this strawberry and mango salad is super simple and straightforward. You just mix all of the ingredients together, sprinkle some feta cheese (or vegan substitute), toasted almonds and drizzle it with ginger vinaigrette. That's it friends. Nothing complicated about this recipe! The only thing that can go wrong is the toasted almonds. They do catch the heat very quickly, so keep an eye on them at all times, and shake the frying pan often, so they don't stick to it.
Adding fruit to salads...
...may seem strange to some, but I love it! I think it's a great way to add even more texture and interesting flavours to the salad, not to mention all the extra nutrients! Also, if you ask me, adding a handfull of berries or diced apple to the salad transforms otherwise ordinary bowl of greens into something that I can't wait to dig into! They add that sweet-tart note to the dish, and just make it look so much more appealing!
What fruit goes well with salads?
Pretty much any fruit that is currently in season! So at the moment, it's strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. Further into the summer, when stone fruit is in season, peaches (check out this Peach Salad I've made last year), cherries and plums could be added. End of summer and befogging of autumn is a great time to use apples and pears. Fresh fruit in salads pairs up nicely with some toasted, crunchy nuts, so add a handfull of these too!
If you enjoy fresh produce, and like to spend as little time as it's possible in your kitchen, especially during summer, then this strawberry and mango salad is definitely for you!
Also, if you are not a huge fan of ginger, this salad will pair very well with lemon and mint olive oil dressing from this recipe.
As always, let me know if you try this recipe by leaving me a comment below, and if you are really awesome- leave me a rating too!
Strawberry and mango salad
- 3 tbsp flaked almonds
- 300 g fresh strawberries (hulled and halved)
- 1 large mango
- 100 g mixed salad of choice
- 1 large handful of fresh basil
- 80 g feta cheese (or vegan substitute)
For ginger dressing:
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 medium lemon (juice and zest)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger (grated)
- Place the almonds in a heated small frying pan, and roast them for about 2 minutes. Keep an eye on them, as they do burn quickly! Once they start getting aromatic and turn golden brown, take off the frying pan and set aside.
- Place strawberries in a large bowl, cut mango into small cubes and add to strawberries. Add salad, basil, and mix all the ingredients together.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese and toasted flaked almonds.
For the ginger vinaigrette:
- Mix all the ingredients together, add some salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Drizzle over the salad.
- You can swap fresh basil for mint leaves
Why not subscribe to my newsletter, so you can get the recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox?!? Fill in the box below this post, and let's stay in touch!